Visiting NOAA Boulder
Visitors are required to sign in and receive a visitor badge. Park next to the Visitors Center and enter. Security personnel will make a badge and conduct screening.
- U.S. Citizens must present a U.S. photo ID, such as a current state driver's license.
- Other accepted forms of ID include:
- Passport card
- DOD CAC card
- Federal Agency HSPD-12 IDs
- Veterans ID
- Military ID
- Military Dependents ID
- Trusted Traveler card - Global Entry, SENTRI, or NEXUS
- Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Foreign Nationals must present a valid passport or a permanent resident ID ("green card"). Those without a green card will also need to provide additional security information to their host at least 48 hours in advance of their visit.
- All IDs must be originals only – no photocopies accepted.
- Security personnel will conduct a vehicle inspection prior to entrance of the site.
- These are our requirements as per Homeland Security regardless of security threat level. If you have any questions, please contact Richard Kelsey, Boulder Regional Security Officer, 303-497-5236.
NOTE: Effective July 21, 2014, under the REAL ID Act of 2005, federal agencies can only accept a state-issued driver's license or identification card for access to federal facilities if issued by states that are REAL ID compliant or have an extension. You can find additional details on the DHS web site.
Note: Tours are not being scheduled at this time. Please check back later.
We appreciate your interest in NOAA and in visiting David Skaggs Research Center in Boulder, CO.
Reservations are required for the weekly public tour offered each Tuesday at 1pm. All tours are free to the public.
Tour comments and questions will be answered only by email: email@example.com
- For the weekly public tour, please visit our Sign-Up Page
- For all school groups, including K-12 and universities, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For special group tours, please email: email@example.com
Tour Stop Descriptions
The pdf documents below contain either a recap of what you’ve experienced, or a taste of what you will see when you come on a tour.
NOAA ESRL is located in the David Skaggs Research Center (DSRC) at 325 Broadway, in Boulder, Colorado, next to the Department of Commerce National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) building. Downloadable Map with Directions
Driving from DIA
- Exit Denver International Airport via Peña Boulevard.
- Take Peña Boulevard to I-70 West.
- Split right on I-270 North (Exit 279), toward Ft. Collins and follow across I-25 to US-36 toward Boulder.
- Take US-36 (Boulder Turnpike) West.
- Exit US-36 at Baseline Road (University of Colorado Main Campus exit).
- Keep left and turn left (West) onto Baseline.
- Keep left and turn left at the first light onto 27th Way.
- Stay in the middle lane and turn left onto Broadway.
- Take the second right at the light onto Rayleigh Rd. and bear right into the Visitors Center parking lot.
Toll Road Option:
- Exit Peña Boulevard at E-470 and follow to US-36. Current toll information can be found at: www.expresstoll.com.
Taking the Bus
- Regional bus service to Boulder is available through the Regional Transportation District (RTD).
- The AB bus provides service between Boulder and the Denver International Airport.
- The FF buses provide regional service between Denver and Boulder from the Broadway & Baseline and Broadway & Dartmouth stops.
- Broadway & Rayleigh Road is the closest stop to the Visitors Center and is also served by the Skip and Dash local bus routes.
- Green Ride provides service from the airport to locations in Boulder.
- Visit the Boulder Convention and Visitors Bureau for information about hotels, restaurants and more!
- Please check the National Weather Service forecast for Boulder, Colorado before your trip. If there is a chance that severe weather may close the campus, check the Boulder Labs Site Status website or call 303-497-4000.