AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) Index
The timeseries are calculated from the
Kaplan SST dataset which is updated monthly. It is basically an index of
the N Atlantic temperatures. Time series are created; a smoothed version
and an unsmoothed version. In addition, two files starting at 1948 are
produced to be used in the
- Time Interval: Monthly
- Time Coverage: 1856 to present
- Update Status: updated monthly
- AMO unsmooth, long: Standard PSD Format (What is standard format?)
- AMO smoothed, long.
- AMO unsmoothed, short (1948 to present).
- AMO smoothed, short (1948 to present).
- Timeseries is calculated at NOAA PSD.
References and Citation:
- Use the
Kaplan SST dataset (5x5).
- Compute the area weighted average over the N Atlantic, basically 0 to 70N.
- Detrend that time series
- Optionally smooth it with a 121 month smoother.
- Enfield, D.B., A.M. Mestas-Nunez, and P.J. Trimble, 2001: The Atlantic
Multidecadal Oscillation and its relationship to rainfall and river flows in
the continental U.S., Geophys. Res. Lett., 28: 2077-2080.