AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) Index
The timeseries are calculated from the Kaplan SST dataset which is updated monthly. It is basically an index of the N Atlantic temperatures. Time series are created; a smoothed version and an unsmoothed version. In addition, two files starting at 1948 are produced to be used in the Correlation webpages.
- Time Interval: Monthly
- Time Coverage: 1856 to present
- Update Status: updated monthly
- Timeseries is calculated at NOAA PSD.
- Use the Kaplan SST dataset (5x5).
- Compute the area weighted average over the N Atlantic, basically 0 to 70N.
- Detrend that time series
- Optionally smooth it with a 121 month smoother.
- For those who require unaltered data, the following is an "not detrended"
version of the N. Atlantic monthly averages with the 1951-1980
climatology added back in.
N. Atlantic SST averages, unsmoothed & not detrended (1856 to present) and the climatolgy used (from the NOAA ERSST V2 SST, interpolated to a 5x5 grid).
- Enfield, D.B., A.M. Mestas-Nunez, and P.J. Trimble, 2001: The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and its relationship to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S., Geophys. Res. Lett., 28: 2077-2080.