Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
NODC (Levitus) World Ocean Atlas 1994
- Depth in meters at 0.0, 10.0, 20.0, 30.0, 50.0, 75.0, 100.0, 125.0, 150.0, 200.0, 250.0, 300.0, 400.0, 500.0, 600.0, 700.0, 800.0, 900.0, 1000.0, 1100.0, 1200.0, 1300.0, 1400.0, 1500.0, 1750.0, 2000.0, 2500.0, 3000.0, 3500.0, 4000.0, 4500.0, 5000.0, 5500.0.
- Depth in meters at 0.0, 10.0, 20.0, 30.0, 50.0, 75.0, 100.0, 125.0, 150.0, 200.0, 250.0, 300.0, 400.0, 500.0, 600.0, 700.0, 800.0, 900.0, 1000.0.
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Ocean Temperature (high resolution)||Annual Long Term Mean||Multiple||otemp.hr.annltm.nc|
|Ocean Temperature Nobs (high resolution)||Annual Long Term Mean||Multiple||otemp.hr.nobs.annltm.nc|
|Ocean Salinity (high resolution)||Annual Long Term Mean||Multiple||salt.hr.annltm.nc|
|Ocean Salinity Nobs (high resolution)||Annual Long Term Mean||Multiple||salt.hr.nobs.annltm.nc|
|Ocean Temperature||Monthly Long Term Mean||Multiple||otemp.mnltm.nc|
|Ocean Temperature Nobs||Monthly Long Term Mean||Multiple||otemp.nobs.mnltm.nc|
|Ocean Salinity||Monthly Long Term Mean||Multiple||salt.mnltm.nc|
|Ocean Salinity Nobs||Monthly Long Term Mean||Multiple||salt.nobs.mnltm.nc|
|Mixed Layer Depth via Potential Density||Monthly Long Term Mean||mldpd.mnltm.nc|
|Mixed Layer Depth via Potential Temperature||Monthly Long Term Mean||mldpt.mnltm.nc|
- The atlas contains annual and monthly long term means for temperature and salinity at multiple depths as well as mixed layer depths as monthly long term means, the last derived both from potential temperature and potential density. Nobs are included in separate files, along with a validity mask variable defined as "1" where there were four or more observations in the grid cell, and "0" otherwise. These nobs files only exist for temperature and salinity.
- Incorrect data fixed and replaced: The files salt.mnltm.nc and salt.nobs.mnltm.nc, the monthly long-term mean salinity data (including number of observations), were discovered to have used the missing data flag value as real data during creation of these netCDF files. This has been corrected. If you retrieved either of these two data files before 6 February 1998, you should retrieve them again.
- var[.res][.var].time stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/nodc.woa94/)
OpenDap File Names:
- https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/dodsC/Datasets/nodc.woa94/var[.res][.var].time stat.nc
Dataset Format and Size:
- PSD standard NetCDF 2 Mbyte file for each mixed layer depth file (packed).
- PSD standard NetCDF 30 Mbyte file for each temperature/salinity monthly file (packed).
- PSD standard NetCDF 59 Mbyte file for each temperature/salinity nobs monthly file.
- PSD standard NetCDF 68 Mbyte file for each temperature/salinity annual file (packed).
- PSD standard NetCDF 137 Mbyte file for each temperature/salinity nobs annual file.
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 32767s.
- The mask variable can be used to determine which points are ocean points and the number of valid levels.
- Please note: If you acquire NODC_WOA94 data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NODC_WOA94 data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the NODC_WOA94 data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- Monterey, G. I., and S. Levitus, 1997:  Climatological cycle of mixed layer depth in the world ocean.  U.S. Gov. Printing Office, NOAA NESDIS, 5pp.
- National Oceanographic Data Center, NOAA, Washington, D.C.
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328