GISS Surface Temperature AnalysisThis version of NASA dataset dataset was updated to use NOAA's ERSST V5 on Oct 25 2017. Previously, V4 was used as the SST input.
Go To: Temporal Coverage | Spatial Coverage | Levels | Update Schedule | Download/Plot Data | Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 250km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.land.nc|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 1200km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.land.nc|
|Combined SST/Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 250km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.comb.nc|
|Combined SST/Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 1200km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.comb.nc|
- From the NASA webpage: Temperature data is updated "around the middle of every month using current data files from NOAA GHCN v3 (meteorological stations), ERSST v4 (ocean areas), and SCAR (Antarctic stations), combined as described in our December 2010 publication (Hansen et al. 2010). These updated files incorporate reports for the previous month and also late reports and corrections for earlier months." Please refer to the NASA webpage for more details, caveats, and products.
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/gistemp/)
Dataset Format and Size:
- 4 PSD standard NetCDF4 monthly files.
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 9999.f
- Please note: If you acquire GISTEMP data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as GISTEMP data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the GISTEMP data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- Please refer to the list available at http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/references.html.
- Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS): data and images at http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/. Goddard is part of NASA
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
- Climate Datasets: By Category
- Climate Indices
- Search Datasets
- 20th Century Reanalysis