Katherine L. McCaffrey
Katherine is a CIRES research scientist working in the Boundary Layer Observations and Processes group and the Atmospheric Sciences for Renewable Energy program. Her work includes improving methods of measuring turbulence dissipation rates from wind profiling radars, characterizing impactful weather events, and verifying NOAA's numerical weather prediction models for purposes of improving wind and solar energy forecasts.
- Ph.D., Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, University of Colorado at Boulder, May 2014
- M.S., Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, University of Colorado at Boulder, Dec 2011
- B.A., Applied Mathematics, University of Saint Thomas (MN), May 2009
- McCaﬀrey, K. , B. Fox-Kemper, P.E. Hamlington, J. Thomson, 2015: Characterization of Turbulence Anisotropy, Coherence, and Intermittency at a Prospective Tidal Energy Site: Observational Data Analysis. Renewable Energy, 76(4), 441-453.
- McCaffrey, K., L. Bianco, P.E. Johnston, J.M. Wilczak, 2017: A Comparison of Vertical Velocity Variance Measurements from Wind Profiling Radars and Sonic Anemometers. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 10, 999-1015.
- McCaﬀrey, K. , B. Fox-Kemper, G. Forget, 2015: Estimates of Ocean Macro-turbulence: Structure Function and Spectral Slope from Argo Proﬁling Floats. Journal of Physical Oceanography, In revision.
- McCaffrey, K., L. Bianco, J.M. Wilczak, 2017: Improved Observations of Turbulence Dissipation Rates from Wind Profiling Radars. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 10, 2595-2611.
- McCaffrey, K., P.T. Quelet, A. Choukulkar, J.M. Wilczak, D.E. Wolfe, S.P. Oncley, W.A. Brewer, M. Deb- nath, R. Ashton, G.V. Iungo, J.K. Lundquist, 2017: Identification of tower-wake distortions using sonic anemometer and lidar measurements. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 10, 393-407.
- American Geophysical Union
- American Meteorological Society
Honors and Awards
- NRC RAP Postdoctoral Fellowship
- NOAA-ESRL/CIRES Graduate Research Fellowship
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship
- NOAA/CIRES Technology Transfer Award: WFIP2