How Convection Works
- The sun heats the ground, and the ground heats the air.
- The air becomes less dense (lighter), so it rises.
- The air cools as it rises, and water vapor may condense to form a cloud.
- As the air cools it becomes more dense (heavier) and it sinks to the ground again.
- The cycle continues!
Click on the links below to...
- ...see the intricate cloud pattens convection creates.
- ...understand how convection can turn a puffy, white cumulus cloud into a dark and ominous thunderstorm.
- ...see how convection can alter the world's weather and why convection is important to study and understand.