The role of the Global Climate Observing System (GCOS)
Working Group on Surface Pressure (WG-SP) is to promote the development
of long-term high-quality analyses of atmospheric surface pressure.
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference of the GCOS Working Group on Surface Pressure are:
- to promote the analysis of global surface pressure from both real-time and historical sources using both daily and monthly data;
- to record and evaluate differences among surface pressure analyses through comparison of basic products;
- to recommend actions needed to ensure the quality and consistency of surface pressure analyses based on analysis of those differences;
- to promote the recovery of atmospheric pressure data, including issues associated with data access, archiving and maintenance;
- to promote the comparison of the various types of barometers and pressure sensors (including satellite estimates) used to measure surface pressure;
- to report annually to Atmosphere Observation Panel for Climate (AOPC)
and Ocean Observations Panel for Climate (OOPC) on progress, recommendations and future plans of the Group.