Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
NOAA Daily (non-interpolated) Outgoing Longwave Radiation (OLR)
- Gridded OLR data from NCEP without interpolation. See the Interpolated OLR dataset for an interpolated version. More Details...
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Units||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Outgoing Longwave Radiation||Mean (Daily)||Top of Atmosphere||W/m^^2||olr.day.mean.nc|
|Outgoing Longwave Radiation||Long Term Mean (Daily)||Top of Atmosphere||W/m^^2||olr.daily.ltm.1979-1995.nc|
- None but any feedback would be useful.
OLR data from NCAR archives, with gaps.
Example FORTRAN code that will read the data from the netCDF file can be found in ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/interp_OLR/readolr.f
- New satellite source.
- As of 2005/08/07, this data set was switched from the NOAA-16 (last day 2005/08/07) satellite to the NOAA-18 satellite. The NOAA-18 bird crosses the equator at 0130 and 1330.
The sun-synchronous orbit means that at some locations and times 'night' will follow 'day', while at others 'day' will follow 'night', and there is a longitude at which the local time switches by nearly 24 hours. However, taking a daily mean of the day and night passes, as is done for this dataset, avoids the issue of which is observed first, and serves to reduce the effective time jump that occurs at the aforementioned longitude to 12 hours.
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/uninterp_OLR/)
OpenDap File Names:
Dataset Format and Size:
- PSD standard NetCDF 88 Mbyte file for each daily file (packed).
- PSD standard NetCDF 7.7 Mbyte file for each daily long term mean file (packed).
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 32766s.
- June 21, 2015 is missing (missing at source).
- Please note: If you acquire Uninterpolated OLR data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as Uninterpolated OLR data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the Uninterpolated OLR data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- We retrieve data directly from NOAA's National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP).
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
- Climate Datasets: By Category
- Climate Indices
- Search Datasets
- 20th Century Reanalysis