Visitor and Information Services arranges technical visits and tours, manages meetings and conferences, coordinates media interviews and photos, and distributes atmospheric information. From Boy Scouts to members of Congress, from National Weather Service conferences to teacher in-service meetings, GSD welcomes all visitors and information sharing.
Map from Denver Internation Airport and information about security and lodging.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) offers public tours each Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. Tours last approximately one hour and include stops at several research divisions and the National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office and Space Environment Forecast Office. NOAA is located on Broadway just south of Baseline Road. With security controls in place, each visitor to NOAA must call 303-497-4091 to get on a list for the Tuesday tour and must bring a photo ID at the time of the tour. Use the same number for special groups or school tours.
Materials by Request
GSD has a wide variety of information on weather-related phenomena. Information includes videos and written and audio visual materials.
Visitors are required to sign in and receive a visitor badge from the Visitors Center.
Visitors to the site who are U.S. citizens must present a U.S. photo ID, such as a current state driver's license (exceptions below). Foreign Nationals must present a valid passport or a permanent resident ID ("green card"). All IDs must be originals only – no photocopies accepted.
NOTE: Beginning July 21, 2014, drivers licenses or ID cards from the following states will no longer be accepted:
- American Samoa
- Washington State*
*Enhanced IDs from these states will be accepted.
If a visitor presents an ID from one of the states on the list, they will have to present another form of ID or they will be denied access to the site. There will be no exceptions made to this policy.
Other accepted forms of ID include:
- Passport card
- DOD CAC card
- Federal Agency HSPD-12 IDs
- Veterans ID
- Military ID
- Military Dependents ID
- Trusted Traveler card - Global Entry, SENTRI, or NEXUS
- Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC)
To receive a visitor badge, all visitors are required to park next to the Visitors Center and enter. Security personnel will make a badge and conduct screening. Security personnel will also inspect vehicles prior to entrance of the site.
These are our requirements as per Homeland Security regardless of security threat level. If you have any questions, please contact Clark Price, Acting Chief, DOC Police, (301) 975-8911.
All Boulder Federal Employees and some Affiliates can pre-announce visitors to the site by using the form below and following the steps to pre-announce 14 or fewer visitors.
- Get the form http://www.boulder.nist.gov/police/Files/visitor_notification_form.pdf.
- Type in all requested information.
- Use one form per start date. DO NOT pre-announce multiple start dates on one form.
- Email the form to: email@example.com
- Security guards will file your visitor pre-announcement.
For 15 or more visitors, please email the list of names (using the above form) to the Boulder NIST Police at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit the Boulder Laboratories NIST Police Services web page at: http://www.boulder.nist.gov/police/.
Instructions for visitors:
- Check in at the Visitors Center and arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled visit to allow for a vehicle inspection and obtain a visitor badge and parking permit.
- Have a form of official I.D. to present at check in. "Official" means government-issued and must include a photograph. Examples include a current driver's license, passport, or student I.D.
All foreign visitors should be reported to the DOC Security Office at least one business day in advance. (Note that green card holders follow the same rules as External Visitors, above.) See Foreign National Visitors section here: http://www.boulder.nist.gov/police/Foreign_Nationals.html to obtain requirements for pre-announcing foreign visitors.
FEDERAL EMPLOYEE VISITORS
Instructions for federal employees:
- Upon entering the site, federal employee visitors should bear to the right and stop at the gate. They will be issued a temporary parking tag.
- Make sure visitors have their federal I.D. ready to present or they will be required to have a visitor badge made.
- Federal employees will need to "PIN out" if they leave the site after 6:00pm. Visitors should ask the guard upon entering what that PIN is.
Contact Information for Visitor-Related Personnel
|Name||Phone Number||Fax Number|
|Annie Reiser (ESRL Visitor Coordinator)||303-497-6634||303-497-6064|
|Visitor Center (General)||303-497-4433||303-497-7402/
|Visitor Center Courtesy Ph.||303-497-5859|
Sean Miller is the focal point for visitors and conference arrangements:
Office of the Director - Global Systems Division (GSD)
Annie Reiser is the focal point for education and outreach activities:
ESRL Technical Communications Specialist