MADIS is a meteorological observational database and data delivery system that provides observations that cover the globe. MADIS runs operationally at the National Weather Service (NWS) National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Central Operations (NCO) with archive capabilities provided by the National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service’s National Climatic Data Center (NCDC). Clarus is a research and development initiative to demonstrate and evaluate the value of "Anytime, Anywhere Road Weather Information" provided by both public agencies and the private weather enterprise to transportation users and operators. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), NWS, and the Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR) agreed that MADIS should become the operational home for Clarus. The objective of the Clarus Transition effort is to incorporate Clarus system functionality into the MADIS system so that Clarus transportation users and operators don't lose the Clarus capabilities they have grown to rely on to help with transportation decision support issues.
To help ensure a smooth transition from Clarus to MADIS, Clarus providers will need to work with the MADIS and Clarus teams by performing the following:
- Send email to Paul Pisano (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy Brenda Boyce (email@example.com)
- (State DOT) gives permission for RWIS observations to be included in MADIS.
- Include contact information: Name, Agency, Title, Address, Phone, Email
- State whether the data is public or the type of restrictions on the data.
This will start the transition process.
- Help verify data and metadata are correct and complete.
- Work with transition teams to ingest RWIS data and metadata to MADIS.
- Request a subscription service , if desired, to MADIS for downloading data.
- Help verify that your data and metadata are accessible, correct, and complete on the MADIS surface display and MADIS surface viewer.
Have a question or need help getting started?
Send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Clarus transition".
The Clarus transition effort will consists of three major enhancements to MADIS:
|Enhancements to MADIS||Delivery Date|
|On going until all RWIS providers have been added.|
|December 31, 2015|
|December 31, 2015|
The MADIS team is defined as follows:
- NWS’ Office of Climate, Water and Weather Services (OCWWS) responsible for MADIS requirements.
- NWS’ Office of Science and Technology (OST) responsible for MADIS transition to operations.
- NWS’ NCEP responsible for MADIS operations and operational support.
- OAR’s GSD responsible for MADIS development, maintenance, transition, and operational support.
- NESDIS' NCDC responsible for MADIS archive capabilities.
The Clarus team is defined as follows:
- FHWA, Road Weather Management Team for Clarus requirements.
- RITA, ITS Joint Program Office for Clarus requirements.
- Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., under contract to FHWA, for development, maintenance, transition, operations, and operational support.
- Mixon Hill, Inc., under contract to FHWA, for development, maintenance, transition, operations, and operational support.