Other Seminars of Interest
The following seminars and seminar schedules at locations other than ESRL and CSD may be of interest:
|Thursday, May 17
|CIRES Special Seminar: Fighting fire with smoke: Prescribed burning and human health
Presenter: Owen Price, Centre for Environmental Risk Management of Bushfire, University of Wollongong
Location: University of Colorado Boulder, Room 372A/B on the 3rd floor of SEEC
Abstract: Prescribed burning is one of the main strategies for reducing the impact of wildfire in Australia and parts of the USA and Europe. However, prescribed burning produces smoke which is known to affect human health. Recent research has found that in most regions of the world, the area treated by prescribed burning is greater than the reduction in wildfire area it causes. This raises questions about the balance of risks between wildfire and prescribed fire: 1) does prescribed burning produce a higher or lower impact on human health than wildfire? 2) how can prescribed burning be managed to reduce the impact?
We have embarked on a five year program to try to answer these questions for the Sydney basin in Australia, using four approaches:
Please stay after to meet with Owen and other fire researchers at the University and the region.
- CIRES Distinguished Lecture Series
- CU Boulder Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) Seminars for Scientists
- CU Boulder Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (ATOC) Distinguished Lecture Series
- CU Boulder Chemistry and Biochemistry Seminars
- CSU Department of Atmospheric Science Colloquia
- NCAR UCAR Atmospheric Chemistry Observations & Modeling (ACOM) Seminars
- NCAR UCAR Events Calendar
Seminar information is subject to change. Please check these schedules frequently for updated information!