Director and Senior Research Scientist, CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center
Physical Sciences Division
I am a climate dynamicist with broad interests in the diagnosis, modeling, and predictability of large-scale weather and climate variations on time scales of days to millennia.
- Ph.D, Princeton University, 1982
Current interests include understanding the sensitivity of global warming to the details of Tropical oceanic warming, understanding coupled air-sea interactions in the Tropics, isolating the contribution of ENSO-related variations to 20th century climate change, extending the 20th century climate record back to 1850 using surface pressure data, and reconciling non-Gaussian climate statistics (skewness, kurtosis, power-law distributions) with deterministic linear dynamics.
Identified the dominant mechanism of tropical-extratropical interactions through upper-tropospheric Rossby Wave Sources (with Hoskins); demonstrated the basic nature of ENSO as a linear stochastically driven process (with Penland); pioneered the methodology of using short-term forecast errors to identify model errors (with Klinker); developed a successful simple model of extratropical stormtracks (with Whitaker); developed simple linear models for Week 2 and Week 3 predictions that remain highly competitive with comprehensive NWP models (with Newman); established the critical impact of the details of tropical SST changes on both global and regional climate changes (with Barsugli and Shin); showed that ENSO-related trends may account for as much as 40% of 20th century climate trends (with Compo); developed a powerful new theory of non-Gaussian statistics with application to the statistics of extreme weather and climate anomalies (with Sura).
- Shin, S.I., and P. D. Sardeshmukh, 2009: Critical influence of the pattern of tropical ocean warming on remote climate trends. Climate Dynamics, In Press. Preprint available at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/prashant.d.sardeshmukh/publications
- Compo, G. P., and P. D. Sardeshmukh, 2009: Removing ENSO-related variations from the climate record. J. Climate, In Press. DOI: 10.1175/2009JCLI2735.1
- Sardeshmukh, P.D., and P. Sura, 2009: Reconciling non-Gaussian climate statistics with linear dynamics. J. Climate, 22, 5, 1193-1207.
- Newman, M., Sardeshmukh, P.D., and C. Penland, 2009: How important is air-sea coupling in ENSO and MJO evolution? J. Climate, 22, 11, 2958-2977.
- Compo, G. P., and P. D. Sardeshmukh, 2009: Oceanic influences on recent continental warming. Climate Dynamics, 32,333-342.