Research Scientist IIIh
Physical Sciences Division
- Ph.D. Atmospheric Science, University of Washington, October 1991
- B.S. Atmospheric Science, UCLA, June 1982
- Newman, M., G. P. Compo, M. A. Alexander, 2003: ENSO-forced variability of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. J. Climate, 16, 3853-3857.
- Sura, P., M. Newman, C. Penland, and P. D. Sardeshmukh, 2005: Multiplicative noise and non-Gaussianity: A paradigm for atmospheric regimes? J. Atmos. Sci., 62, 1391-1409.
- Newman, M., 2007: Interannual to decadal predictability of tropical and North Pacific sea surface temperatures. J. Climate, 20, 2333-2356.
- Newman, M. and P. D. Sardeshmukh, 2008: Tropical and stratospheric influences on extratropical short-term climate variability. J. Climate, 21, 4326-4347.
- Newman, M., P. D. Sardeshmukh, and C. Penland, 2009: How important is air-sea coupling in ENSO and MJO evolution? J. Climate, 22, 2958-2977.