PSD References for Ensemble and Medium Range Forecasting
- Hamill T.M., 2001: Interpretation of rank histograms for verifying ensemble forecasts. Mon. Wea. Rev., 129, 550-560.
- Hamill T.M., and C. Snyder, 2001: Using improved background error covariances from an ensemble Kalman filter for adaptive observations. Mon. Wea. Rev., submitted.
- Hamill T.M., C. Snyder, D.P. Baumhefner, Z. Toth, and S.L. Mullen, 2000: Ensemble forecasting in the short to medium range: report from a workshop. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 81, 2653-2664.
- Hamill T. M, J.S. Whitaker, and C. Snyder, 2001: Distance-dependent filtering of background error covariance estimates in an ensemble Kalman filter. Mon. Wea. Rev., to appear.
- Hendon H., B. Liebmann, M. Newman, J.D. Glick, and J.E. Schemm, 2000: Medium range forecast errors associated with active episodes of the Madden-Julian oscillation. Mon. Wea. Rev., 128, 68-86.
- Newman M., P.D. Sardeshmukh, and C.R. Winkler, 2001: Tropical heating impacts on extratropical predictability beyond the medium range. Submitted to Nonlin. Proc. Geophys. Manuscript available here.
- Whitaker J.S., and A.F. Louge, 1998: The relationship between ensemble spread and ensemble mean skill. Mon. Wea. Rev.126, 3292-3302.
- Whitaker J.S., and T. Hamill, 2001: Ensemble data assimilation without perturbed observations. Mon. Wea. Rev., submitted.
- Winkler C.R., M. Newman, and P.D. Sardeshmukh, 2001: A linear model of wintertime low-frequency variability. Part I: Formulation and forecast skill. J. Climate, in press. Manuscript available: postscript or pdf.