The ESRL website will be unavailable for 24 hours starting Friday, March 6th at 5:00pm MT due to building maintenance.
Global Hawk dropsondes utilize the same sensors as the dropsondes used on manned aircraft but are smaller and lighter to facilitate increased capacity.
- Size: 4.5 cm diameter x 30.5 cm length
- Mass: ~167 g
- Fall rate: ~11 m/s at surface
- Vaisala RS-92 radiosonde sensor characteristics
- Temperature: +60o to -90o, 0.01oC resolution
- Humidity: 0 to 100%, 0.1% resolution
- Pressure: 1080 to 3 mb, 0.01 mb resolution
- Winds based on OEM GPS receiver and position (4 Hz update rate)
- Stable cone parachute design
- Remote control of power on/off and sonde release
- Designed for extreme environmental conditions