Project Status: 31 December 2006
A weak non-precipitating system is passing through the American River Basin at this time, and is of little interest to HMT. Our attention remains on the system approaching on the 4th and 5th of January.
Current thinking is that this system will produce ~1" of precip in the ARB, though some feel it has the potential to produce closer to two inches at Blue Canyon. Precipitation is expected to begin in the early hours of the 4th (between midnight and 5 am local time) and end by the evening on the 4th: i.e. precipitation onset at 8Z(+) on Jan 4th and ending at ~0Z Jan 5th.
Our logic remains the same: given the paucity of events to date and forecasts of a quiet period for the next few weeks, we'll shoot for IOP #3. TENTATIVE plans at this time: SMART-R crews will travel on the 3rd. Sloughhouse soundings to begin late on the 3rd (though we'll wait to get a better fix on the onset of precip). A final decision can be delayed until January 2nd.
One final remark:
The SAC-WFO has extended an invitation for a visit, if the field crews have a little time. I highly encourage it, time permitting.