ESRL/PSD Ensemble, Daily Forecasts of Teleconnection Indices
These indices are for four patterns of low-frequency tropospheric height variability, as classified in the study of Barnston and Livezey (MWR, 1987). The indices are based on centers-of-action of 500mb height patterns as defined below. These forecasts utilize the mean of the 15 member ESRL/PSD ensemble forecasts run daily from 00Z initial conditions. The height fields are spectrally truncated to total wavenumber 10 in order to emphasize large_scale variations.Last Update: Monday, 03-Dec-2012 09:30:11 MST
- North Atlantic Oscillation(NAO) [(35-45N, 70W-10W) - (55-70N, 70W-10W)]
- NAO Composite Positive Phase Map
- Western Pacific Oscillation(WPO) [(25-40N, 140E-150W) - (50-70N, 140E-150W)]
- WPO Composite Positive Phase Map
- Pacific North America Pattern (PNA) [(15-25N, 180-140W)-(40-50N, 180-140W)+(45-60N, 125W-105W)-(25-35N, 90W-70W)]
- PNA Composite Positive Phase Map
- Eastern Pacific Oscillation(EPO) [(20-35N, 160W-125W) - (55-65N, 160W-125W)]
- EPO Composite Positive Phase Map
Compare Daily Forecasts of Teleconnection Indices between the NCEP and ESRL/PSD Ensembles
Daily forecasts of teleconnection indices produced at the Climate Prediction Center from the NCEP ensemble can be found here.
DISCLAIMER: We are not an operational center and are not staffed 24/7. We make every effort to provide the forecasts in a timely manner, but there is no guarantee that they will be updated everyday.