Monthly Climate Timeseries:
Accumulated cyclone energy (ACE)
Annual average timeseries of accumulated hurricane intensities.
- Timeseries Plot:
- Select this link to get a plot. Plot is taken from the Timesseries Plotting and Analysis webpage.
- Calculation Method:
From NOAA's Hurricane Research Division.The ACE is calculated by squaring the maximum sustained surface wind in the system every six hours (knots) and summing it up for the season. It is expressed in 10^4 kt2.
- Time Interval: Monthly
- Time Coverage: 1948 to 2009
- Update Status: Irregular
- Get Data:
ACE: Standard PSD Format (What is standard format?) 1948-2006
ACE (long): Standard PSD Format (What is standard format?) 1851-present
- Data is from NOAA's AOML http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html
- Jarvinen, B. R., C. J. Neumann, and M. A. S. Davis, 1984 : A tropical cyclone data tape for the North Atlantic Basin, 1886-1983: Contents, limitations, and uses. NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS NHC 22, Coral Gables, Florida, 21 pp.
- Landsea, C. W., C. Anderson, N. Charles, G. Clark, J. Dunion, J. Fernandez-Partagas, P. Hungerford, C. Neumann, and M. Zimmer, 2004 : "The Atlantic hurricane database re-analysis project: Documentation for the 1851-1910 alterations and additions to the HURDAT database."Hurricanes and Typhoons: Past, Present and Future, R. J. Murname and K.-B. Liu, Eds., Columbia University Press, 177-221.