We have transitioned the data files from netCDF3 to netCDF4-classic format on Monday Oct 20th. As a result, the files will be compressed instead of being packed with a scale and offset. As with any netCDF4 file, the NetCDF library will perform the uncompression. We expect the files to be read faster, depending on the application you are using. Values may differ slightly because of precision issues. Please let us know if you run into any problems after first reading our netCDF4 doc. We are also changing the time units to use 1800 as the origin year for udunits. This should prove easier for users. The exception to the above are the spectral coefficients files, which are still packed.
at the NOAA/ESRL Physical Sciences Division
This page points you to information on the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis project and the implementation of a netCDF-based, Internet-accessible, data service at NOAA/ESRL PSD for this set of data products.
- The 6-hourly and daily data currently available on-line.
- The monthly and other derived data currently available on-line.
- Please read the problem list.
- Reanalysis problems list (Nov 1, 2012)
- Description of data on-line at PSD (Apr 16, 2013)
- Tips for reading the data files.
Links to other NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis sites:
- NCEP Environmental Modeling Center Home Page
- The NCEP Reanalysis Page at NOAA CPC.
- Reanalysis Model Parameters
- The Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society article (March 1996) describing the project.
- Pentad-means of some important NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis variables provide by JIASO at the University of Washington.
Links to Other Reanalysis Projects
For more information, contact:
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328