Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Monthly Means and Other Derived Variables
We have transitioned the data files from netCDF3 to netCDF4-classic format on Monday Oct 20th. As a result, the files will be compressed instead of being packed with a scale and offset. As with any netCDF4 file, the NetCDF library will perform the uncompression. We expect the files to be read faster, depending on the application you are using. Values may differ slightly because of precision issues. Please let us know if you run into any problems after first reading our netCDF4 doc. We are also changing the time units to use 1800 as the origin year for udunits. This should prove easier for users. The exception to the above are the spectral coefficients files, which are still packed.
- NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Monthly Means and Other Derived Variables..
- Daily and Monthly Values for 1948/01 - present.
- Long term monthly means, derived from data for years 1968 - 1996.
- T62 Gaussian grid with 192x94 points
- 88.542N-88.542S, 0E-358.125E
- 1/1/1958 - 11/2001 monthly means (not in CDAS update)
- Daily psi and chi: Jan 1 1948 to "present".
- Long-Term term monthly mean files are averaged over 1968-1996
- 2 Sigma levels: 0.995,0.2101 for monthly means and monthly LTMs.
- 5 sigma levels 0.995 , 0.8458 , 0.2582 , 0.2101 , 0.1682 for chi & psi in daily, daily LTMs, and monthly means forms.
- Monthly and daily for daily data.
|Relative Vorticity||vort||1./s||mon mean,ltm|
|Velocity Potential||chi||m*m/s||mon mean,ltm,day|
- Files are by anonymous FTP from ftp.cdc.noaa.gov in /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis.derived/sigma.
- No usage restrictions.
- The NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis 1 project is using a state-of-the-art analysis/forecast system to perform data assimilation using past data from 1948 to the present. A large subset of this data is available from PSD in its original 4 times daily format and as daily averages. However, the data from 1948-1957 is a little different, in the regular (non-Gaussian) gridded data. That data was done at 8 times daily in the model, because the inputs available in that era were available at 3Z, 9Z, 15Z, and 21Z, whereas the 4x daily data has been available at 0Z, 6Z, 12Z, and 18Z. These latter times were forecasted and the combined result for this early era is 8x daily. The local ingestion process took only the 0Z, 6Z, 12Z, and 18Z forecasted values, and thus only those were used to make the daily time series and monthly means here.
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis.derived/sigma/)
Dataset Format and Size:
- All data are stored in netCDF files
- The data are divided by variable and type
- There are 119 files currently
- Sizes range are 1.7 Mbytes and 253.5 Mbytes
- Current total of about 8.2 Gbytes
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 32767s for most.
- Chi & Psi monthly LTMs use 1.0e+30f.
- Monthly means and other LTMs us -9.96921e+36f
- For dataset source, please cite:Kalnay et al.,The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 77, 437-470, 1996.
- Please note: If you acquire NCEP Reanalysis Derived data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NCEP Reanalysis Derived data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the NCEP Reanalysis Derived data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- "The NCEP/NCAR 40-years Reanalysis Project" (Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Vol. 77, No. 3, March 1996). This can be found online at: http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds090.0/docs/publications/bams1996mar/?time=d
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328