GISS Surface Temperature Analysis
Go To: Temporal Coverage | Spatial Coverage | Levels | Update Schedule | Download/Plot Data | Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
- Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) surface temperature analysis for the globe.
- Monthly anomalies 1880/01 to present.
- 2.0 degree latitude x 2.0 degree longitude global grid (360x180).
- 89.0N - 80.0S, 1.0E - 359.5E.
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 250km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.land.nc|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 1200km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.land.nc|
|Combined SST/Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 250km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.comb.nc|
|Combined SST/Air Temperature||Monthly Anomaly: 1200km smoothed||Surface||air.2x2.mon.anom.comb.nc|
- From the NASA webpage: "The NASA GISS Surface Temperature Analysis
(GISTEMP) provides a measure
of the changing global surface temperature with monthly resolution for the period since 1880, when a
reasonably global distribution of meteorological stations was established. Input data for the analysis,
collected by many national meteorological services around the world, is the unadjusted data of the
Global Historical Climatology Network (Peterson and Vose, 1997) except that the USHCN station records
included were replaced by a later corrected version. These data were augmented by SCAR data from
Antarctic stations. Documentation of our analysis is provided by Hansen et al. (1999),
with several modifications described by Hansen et al. (2001). The GISS analysis is updated monthly.".
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/gistemp/)
Dataset Format and Size:
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 9999f
- Please note: If you acquire GISTEMP data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as GISTEMP data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the GISTEMP data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- Please refer to the list available at http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/references.html.
- Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS): data and images at http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/. Goddard is part of NASA
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328