ESRL Global Systems Division
Data Access and Delivery Systems
|MADIS is currently being transitioned from Initial Operating Capability (IOC) to Final Operating Capability (FOC) at the National
Weather Service (NWS). At FOC MADIS operational and integration test systems will be hosted at the NWS's National Centers
for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Central Operations (NCO) with archive capabilities provided by the National
Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service’s National Climatic Data Center (NCDC). Clarus is a research and
development initiative to demonstrate and evaluate the value of “Anytime, Anywhere Road Weather Information” provided by both
public agencies and the private weather enterprise to transportation users and operators. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA),
NWS, and the Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR) agreed that MADIS should become the operational home for Clarus.
The objective of the Clarus Transition effort is to incorporate Clarus system functionality into the MADIS system so
that Clarus transportation users and operators don't lose the Clarus capabilities they have grown to rely on to
help with transportation decision support issues.|
To help ensure a smooth transition from Clarus to MADIS, Clarus providers will need to work with the MADIS and Clarus teams by performing the following:
Have a question or need help getting started?
|Enhancements to MADIS||Delivery Date|
|June 15, 2013|
|December 31, 2013|
|December 31, 2014|
The MADIS team is defined as follows:
- NWS’ Office of Climate, Water and Weather Services (OCWWS) responsible for MADIS requirements.
- NWS’ Office of Science and Technology (OST) responsible for MADIS transition to operations.
- NWS’ NCEP responsible for MADIS operations and operational support.
- OAR’s GSD responsible for MADIS development, maintenance, transition, and operational support.
- NESDIS' NCDC responsible for MADIS archive capabilities.
- FHWA, Road Weather Management Team for Clarus requirements.
- RITA, ITS Joint Program Office for Clarus requirements.
- Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., under contract to FHWA, for development, maintenance, transition, operations, and operational support.
- Mixon Hill, Inc., under contract to FHWA, for development, maintenance, transition, operations, and operational support.