VISITORS: Effective 21 July 2014, Visitor Center Security will no longer accept IDs from some US states for site access. Please see security procedures for details.
Awards / Memberships
- Co-recipient of the NOAA Administrator's Award in July 2008 for outstanding dedication to developing U.S. Climate Change Science Program (CCSP) Synthesis & Assessment Products integrating climate research for decision support.
- Co-recipient of the U. S. Department of Commerce Bronze Medal for Meritorious Federal Service, January 2008, for 'For leadership in planning, preparing, and reviewing the 2006 scientific state-of-understanding update on the ozone layer for the Montreal Protocol.'
- Best New Paper on a Montreal Protocol Related Topic: Science Category, Awarded by the United Nations Environment Programme in September 2007 for "The importance of the Montreal Protocol in protecting climate," by Velders et al., Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci, 2007.
- Co-recipient of the U. S. Department of Commerce Bronze Medal for Meritorious Federal Service, December 2006, for 'Demonstrating the usefulness of unmanned aircraft systems in accomplishing NOAA's mission, including operation and research goals.'
- Recipient of the U. S. Department of Commerce Silver Medal for Meritorious Federal Service, December 1996, for 'Leadership in making the first direct measurements of supersonic aircraft emissions and analyzing the atmospheric implications.'
- Recipient of the American Meteorological Society Henry G. Houghton Award, January 1996, for 'Outstanding contributions to our understanding of the ozone layer through airborne observations and theoretical analyses.'
- Fellow of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES), University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, April 2003 - present.
- Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 2002, for 'Elucidating the role of nitrogen oxides in the stratosphere via field measurements and interpretations.'
- Member of the Observing Facilities Assessment Panel (OFAP), National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, November 2007 - present.
- Member, American Geophysical Union, 1991 - present.
- Member, American Physical Society, 1978 - present.