- Annual NOAA Safety, Environmental and Sustainability Awareness Course
- Federal employees:
Login through the NOAA Learning Center to take the course and automatically track your completion.
- Cooperative Institute and other employees:
Access NOAA SECO sponsored training, selecting the survey link at the end of the training which will gather information necessary to verify completion and generate completion certificates.
- DoC Safety Program
- DoC Occupational Safety & Health Manual
- NOAA Safety Program
Our ongoing commitment to maintain a healthy and safe working environment, and to promote improved awareness by all NOAA employees and partners ...
|CSD Area Safety Representative:||Ranajit Talukdar||(303) 497-5825|
|CSD Area Safety Representative:||Gerd Hübler||(303) 497-3490|
|CSD Radiation Safety Officer:||Ann Middlebrook||(303) 497-7324|
|CSD Laser Safety Officer:||Steve Brown||(303) 497-6306|
|In case of Emergency:||x7777 or 911|
|NIST BSHED Hotline||x5375, option 3|
|* BSHED: Boulder Safety Health and Environment Division|
|NOAA SECO Industrial Hygienist:||Rhonda Carpenter||(303) 497-3912|
|NOAA SECO Environmental Engineer:||Mark George||(303) 497-3064|
|* SECO: Safety and Environmental Compliance Office|
Our Safety Program applies to all NOAA employees, Affiliates, Guests and Visitors all the time, and everywhere CSD employees, Affiliates, Guests and Visitors work.
CSD Safety and Environmental Compliance Manual (Intranet access required)
CSD Pandemic Work-at-Home Policy (UMS authentication and Intranet access required) and Alternative Work Arrangements in the Event of Pandemic Outbreak
DSRC Shelter in Place Plan (Intranet access required)
DSRC Shelter in Place Preparation 2014 SIP Command Presentation (Intranet access required)
- CSD Hazard Communication Plan
- CSD / DSRC Chemical Hygiene Plan
- CSD 2013 Chemical Inventory (Intranet access required)
- CSD / NIST OSHE Hazardous Waste Generator Training (UMS authentication and Intranet access required)
- CSD / NIST BSHED Satellite Accumulation Area (SAA) Operator Training (UMS authentication and Intranet access required)
- CSD / NOAA SECO Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) 2012 Training (UMS authentication and Intranet access required)
Our HCP is designed to provide employee information and training on (1) the hazardous chemicals known to be in the workplace, (2) the methods that will be employed to protect workers, (3) the precautionary methods employees must follow to protect themselves from hazardous chemicals, (4) the detection of a release of hazardous chemicals and (5) emergency procedures to follow should there be a release of hazardous chemicals and/or employee exposure to them.
Our CHP incorporates work practices and procedures required to protect employees from health and physical hazards.
- DSRC Basic Radiation Safety Training (UMS authentication and Intranet access required)
- CSD & GMD Radioactive Source History (Intranet access required)
- CSD Radioactive Source Information (Intranet access required)
NOAA ESRL possesses a materials license 05-11997-01 from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the use of three radioactive materials: Nickel-63, Polonuim-210, and Americium-241. Of these, CSD is actively using Polonium-210 and Americium-241 in some of our chemical ionization mass spectrometers and aerosol calibration equipment. Polonium-210 is marketed as a "nuclear static eliminator" or "alpha-energy ionizer". Americium-241 is commonly used in smoke detectors. Both Polonium-210 and Americium-241 emit alpha particles and low energy gamma rays. Americium-241 also emits some beta radiation. The risk for exposure to radiation from CSD's devices is quite low since the radioactive material is sealed in a foil and encased in either a stainless steel or tungsten housing. In case of an emergency or other questions related to radiation safety, please refer to the Radiation Safety Program . For further information, contact the Radiation Safety Officer, John Schneider x4646.
- CSD Laser Safety Program
- NIST Laser Safety Awareness (UMS authentication and Intranet access required)
- CSD Biohazard and Biosafety Program
- CU DEHS Campus Biological Safety Program
- CU DEHS Biological Safety Program Training
- CDC Biosafety
- CDC Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 5th Edition
- NIH Biological Safety & Compliance
- CU IBC Requirements for Laboratory Operating Practices, Physical Containment, and Training for Research Involving Biological Agents
- CU DEHS Environmental Health & Safety Guidance for Disinfectants and Sterilization Methods
Audit and Tools
- CSD Safety Inspections (Intranet access required)
- SAA Checklist and Weekly Inspection Log
- Hazardous Material Collection Sheet - email to David Garrity x4577 for pickup
- Matheson or MSDS Search or MSDS Provider [Material] Safety Data Sheets database search
NIST manages hazardous waste in satellite accumulation areas (SAA) and administers the Universal Waste and Recycling program for all agencies on site, including disposal of aerosol cans and batteries. Please tape up battery terminals before dropping into plastic recycling bins.
NOAA NWS Safety Training Documents (Intranet access required) with appreciation to the National Weather Service for providing these presentations.